One thing I remember growing up about Muhammad Ali is that he never seemed to have any fear (I wrote about the good side of it here), especially during a time when it was unacceptable to do so in these ‘United States’. I would have to proclaim him the original trash talker of sports and yes, dominoes is a sport (LOL).
Muhammad Ali most likely didn’t know back then that he was speaking those things that aren’t as though they were (that’s Bible Y’all), which is why he became so successful. He believed every word he said and built up his faith in such a manner that he had no choice but to win at life. He said he was the greatest, even before he was.
Here are some of my favorite and most inspirational quotes by Muhammad Ali. And yeah, I’m sharing a rare video of him singing too:
1. “Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee. His hands can’t hit what his eyes can’t see. Now you see me, now you don’t. George thinks he will, but I know he won’t.
2. “Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth.”
3. “Don’t count the days; make the days count.”
4. “If my mind can conceive it, and my heart can believe it—then I can achieve it.”
5. “It isn’t the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it’s the pebble in your shoe.”
6. “I am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was.”
7. “Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even.”
8. “Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they’ve been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It’s an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It’s a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.”
9. “He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life.”
10. “A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
11. “I hated every minute of training, but I said, ‘Don’t quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.’”
12. “A man who has no imagination has no wings.”
13. “I’ve wrestled with alligators. I’ve tussled with a whale. I done handcuffed lightning. And throw thunder in jail.”
14. “Hating people because of their color is wrong. And it doesn’t matter which color does the hating. It’s just plain wrong.”
15. “It’s not bragging if you can back it up.”